Thursday, June 16, 2011

13 years.

That's how long I have been captured and enveloped by the world of Harry Potter. That's how long I've been reading the books over and over again, watching the movies whenever I needed to escape from the stress of real life, discussing, thinking about, and sharing a world whose traits and philosophies have completely changed my life. And now it's all ending.

I feel like this post is 100% necessary. I MUST write down in words how I'm feeling at this time. Because it's a sad, immobilizing feeling and a sad, distressing time. I know that the final film will wrench my heart out and I'm pretty positive it will be my favorite film of all of them, because it was my favorite part of the books. But I don't want it to come. Nope. Not yet. There is no other feeling in the world like the anticipation for the next Harry Potter trailer, book, or movie.

But at the same time, I want the world to see it so badly. I feel like the whole purpose of Harry Potter will become clear to the general public and non-fans by means of this last film. There is a meaning so deep and statement-making that has yet to be revealed to those who don't know how it ends, and perhaps now Harry Potter will get the TRUE respect it deserves. Not to say it's been disrespected, but I feel like the world still doesn't truly get it. Not like we do.

I think that after the film is over, I'll be in a state of shock, but it's not like I'm losing anything. These books and films will still be a part of my near-everyday life for the rest of my life. Yes, I will miss the midnight premieres. They are so special and so moving because you know that it's a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing and something we will all be telling our kids and grandkids about. Being in a huge room full of people that share this same love that you do; a pure love and understanding for something like the love of the Harry Potter fandom is so rare to find. Even when I go to concerts, for example, everyone there usually ranges from pretty excited to mildly interested, with the exception of about 10% hardcore fans. Not the case with Harry Potter. EVERYONE has the same love, passion, and understanding of why they are there. We're all on the same wavelength and you can make friends with people you wouldn't have ever thought. Because, personally, I feel like if you "get" Harry Potter the same way I do, we probably have a LOT more in common than just that. I will miss the midnight premieres more than anything.

Mostly I'm just so, so grateful to have lived through this. I've grown up with the actors, so thus I've grown up with the characters on-screen. And it's been a fantastic way to grow up. Each film has felt appropriate for the time that it appeared in my life. This last one the most so.

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I couldn't have said it better myself.
    Those books were my safety blanket. They were my escape. They brought me up when I was down. They still do.

    It's like the end of the school year. You always fear this is the last time you see your friends. True, it's the last time you'll see them in that sense, but you still have them.

    <3

    ReplyDelete